Saturday, April 20, 2013
Chat Rewind: First-round projections
By Jamison Hensley
Not surprisingly, the weekly AFC North was dominated by draft questions. A common theme was: Who is my team taking in the first round? I don't have a Mel Kiper Jr. crystal ball, but I did my best to provide some educated guesses. Here are some highlights from the chat ...
- Chris Fiegler (Latham,NY): Who do you think that the Pittsburgh Steelers will Select in the 2013 NFL Draft with their first pick?
- Jamison Hensley (ESPN): Kiper seems sold on TE Tyler Eifert and McShay is sticking with LB Jarvis Jones. I would go with Jones. Yes, he's a risk. But there's a big reward if you hit with him.
- Dave (Cincy): Bengals have 10 picks and I feel this draft has most talent/value in second round. Should they try to trade out of the first and then move some of those extra picks so they have four second-round picks? Could get a safety, LB, OT, and RB.
- Jamison Hensley (ESPN): If safety Ken Vaccaro or offensive tackle D.J. Fluker is there in the first round when the Bengals draft, they should jump at the chance to get one of them. Not sure if there is a lot of teams looking to jump up at the Bengals' spot anyway.
- JoeC (Cleveland): Who do you feel would be the best talent available at No. 6? I don't believe you should draft on "need" that high in the draft, but on talent.
- Jamison Hensley (ESPN): I like Oregon LB Dion Jordan a lot. Not sure if there is much of a chance for him to fall to the Browns. But he would be a great 3-4 outside linebacker, which would also address a need for the Browns if Jabaal Sheard can't make the transition.
- Ryan (Salt Lake City) [via mobile]: Glad to have you back Jamison! I've been seeing John Cyprien going at No. 21 in some mocks. Do you have any extra insight who the Bengals might be rating as the best fit with Reggie Nelson?
- Jamison Hensley (ESPN): Ryan, I feel Kenny Vaccaro, John Cyprien and Matt Elam would all be good choices. Honestly, I would be happy for the Bengals to finally address the strong safety spot. It seems like this has been a major hole for a couple of years. It's time to move past Chris Crocker.
- Colin W (Baltimore): Should the Ravens draft a LT early or give Kelechi Osemele a real chance to be our left tackle?
- Jamison Hensley (ESPN): I would really like to see how KO plays there. But he has a lot of potential. I would prefer the Ravens try that instead of going back to Oher at left tackle.
- Brian (Philadelphia): Hey Jamison, do you think offensive tackle Andre Smith signs with a team before or after the draft?
- Jamison Hensley (ESPN): The last time I talked to Marvin Lewis, he believed Smith would be signed in "short order." I think it can get done before the draft. Smith knows his value drops further after the draft when teams address their needs.
- Ryan (Ohio): Safety seems like such a need for Pittsburgh, yet I rarely see it mentioned. Would Kenny Vacarro be a good fit?
- Jamison Hensley (ESPN): It's not out of the question. Ryan Clark is in the final year of his deal, and Troy Polamalu hasn't been durable. But outside linebacker and tight end are more immediate needs.
- Scott (Northglenn, CO): With the hindsight of a season, Browns definitely made the right decision giving up a second-round pick for wide receiver Josh Gordon, right? He's better than some of the WRs mentioned at the end of the first round.
- Jamison Hensley (ESPN): I don't think there's a question that Gordon would be a first-round pick if he was in this year's draft. So, yes, it was a good move by Tom Heckert. Too bad he's gone.