Thursday, April 25, 2013
AFC North pre-draft notes
By Jamison Hensley
Here are some pre-draft notes from our friends at ESPN Stats & Information:
- Total picks: Seven (6th, 68th, 104th, 139th, 164th, 175th, 227th)
- No second-round pick (used pick on wide receiver Josh Gordon in 2012 supplemental draft).
- Averaged 4.3 yards per rush outside the tackles (tied for 26th in the NFL) and had just one 20-yard rush on such carries, tied for fewest in the NFL.
- Drafted offensive player with first three picks in 2012 draft.
- Drafted QB Brandon Weeden in first round last year (only one team has used first-round picks on quarterbacks in consecutive years: 1982-83 Colts on Art Schlichter and John Elway).
- Total picks: 8 (17th, 48th, 79th, 115th, 150th, 186th, 206th, 223rd)
- Rushed for 1.7 yards per rush before contact last season, the lowest rate in the NFL.
- Since the start of the 2010 season, the Steelers have used 68 different five-man offensive line combinations; they used just 14 in during the 2008-09 seasons combined.
- Drafted four offensive linemen in first two rounds of last three drafts (two more than any other team); drafted no offensive linemen in first two rounds from 2003-09.
- Drafted one linebacker in the first round in last 20 years (Lawrence Timmons in 2007).
- Total picks: 10 (21st, 37th, 53rd, 84, 118th, 156th, 190th, 197th, 240th, 251st)
- Acquired 37th pick from Raiders in 2011 trade for Carson Palmer.
- Targeted running backs on passes 50 times last year, third fewest in the league.
- Drafted offensive player with four of last five first-round picks after drafting four defensive players in first round from 2005-08.
- Drafted four Pro Bowl players over last three drafts (Geno Atkins, Jermaine Gresham, A.J. Green, Andy Dalton), tied with Seahawks for most in NFL over that span.
- Total picks: 12 (32nd overall, 62nd, 94th, 129th, 130th, 165th, 168th, 199th, 200th, 203rd, 238th, 247th)
- Nine starters from Super Bowl XLVII are no longer on team (Matt Birk, Anquan Boldin, Dannell Ellerbe, Ray Lewis, Bryant McKinnie, Bernard Pollard, Ed Reed, Cary Williams, Ma’ake Kemoeatu).
- Ranked 17th in yards allowed (350.9 YPG) in 2012, lowest ranking since 2002 (22nd).
- Twelve picks are second-most of any team and would be Ravens' most in a draft since 1997 (12).
- Did not have first-round pick in 2012 (traded down out of first round and selected Courtney Upshaw).
- Of Ravens 37 sacks last season, 19.5 were by players no longer on team.
- Have used first-round pick on LB/DE three times: 2003 (Terrell Suggs), 1997 (Peter Boulware), 1996 (Ray Lewis). Those players have a combined 21 Pro Bowl selections.