Monday, September 2, 2013
Browns links: Not worried about a kicker
By Jamison Hensley
Let's take a look at some headlines on the Cleveland Browns beat:
- Coach Rob Chudzinski didn't seem worried about not having a kicker yet, even though he won't have many days to get his timing with long snapper Christian Yount and punter Spencer Lanning, the holder. "In places I've been before, we've had different kickers throughout the course of the season," Chudzinski said, via The Akron Beacon Journal. "It's probably the one position where a guy can come in. It's unique in that way. There's not a lot of interaction with teammates and getting to learn systems. It's pretty much an individualized skill. I'm not concerned about it. Between the pool that's there and the guys that have been here, we'll find the guy that we need."
- As The Plain Dealer points out, Trent Richardson is the last running back standing. His top three backups at the start of the preseason -- Montario Hardesty, Dion Lewis and Brandon Jackson -- are all gone.
- The Akron Beacon Journal believes running back Bobby Rainey is the headliner of the six players signed by the Browns on Sunday.
- Only once since the Browns returned to the NFL in 1999 has the same quarterback started all 16 games (Tim Couch, in 2001). That's why The Plain Dealer's Terry Pluto likes the Browns' current depth at quarterback.
- Safety Tashaun Gipson has the mind set of an undrafted free agent even though he is a starter now, according to the team's website.