Wednesday, January 22, 2014
Kirby Wilson worthy of opportunity
By Scott Brown
Kirby Wilson is scheduled to interview with the Ravens today -- assuming the weather allows coach John Harbaugh to get to Mobile, Ala., -- and here is hoping Steelers fans understand the veteran running backs coach's pursuit of the opportunity.
Even if it is in Baltimore.
Wilson is a good coach and an even better person, and unfortunate circumstances prevented him from becoming the Steelers' offensive coordinator in 2012. Todd Haley is entrenched in that position now, and it makes sense that Wilson would explore other opportunities.
It also makes sense that Harbaugh would give serious consideration to Wilson, the Steelers' running backs coach since 2007, after the Ravens finished last in the NFL last season in yards per carry (3.1).
If Wilson emerges from one of four finalists to become the Ravens' next offensive coordinator good for him. If not the Steelers should welcome him back.
- Nine quarterbacks have now achieved “Pro Bowl” status. Not one of them is named Ben Roethlisberger. That is a joke. Then again, so is the Pro Bowl.
- I did not watch the Pro Bowl “draft” so I cannot tell you where wide receiver Antonio Brown went or which team selected him. Sorry, even I have standards.
Here is a look at what else is going on around the AFC North:
- ESPN.com Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley takes a look at the finalists for the Ravens' offensive coordinator. Jamison doesn't think Wilson is quite at the top of Harbaugh's list. But, he added, the sixth-year coach can be a tough read so anything is possible.
- ESPN.com Browns reporter Pat McManamon continues his pursuit of the unofficial record for covering a head coaching search. Don't feel bad for him though. This man thrives on sarcasm and can work it like few I know (Pat, I do feel for you. A little.).
- ESPN.com Bengals reporter Coley Harvey takes a look at the Bengals' running back situation. I will take this opportunity to congratulate the resident AFC North Northwestern grad on the Wildcats' recent men's college basketball win over Indiana. I know Coley would have called it had we talked before the game.