Saturday, August 2, 2014
Bengals post first depth chart of camp
By Coley Harvey
CINCINNATI -- In a preseason news release that was distributed to media Saturday, the Cincinnati Bengals issued their first depth chart of the season.
It comes ahead of Thursday's preseason opener at Kansas City. As you will see, there aren't any surprises. But here are the highlights:
- It's worth noting that offensive lineman Mike Pollak was not listed at center as either a starter or a backup. He's only listed at left guard.
- In the backfield, BenJarvus Green-Ellis retains his status as the No. 2 rusher, while rookie Jeremy Hill is the No. 3 back behind Green-Ellis and Giovani Bernard. The order behind the three then goes: Cedric Peerman, Rex Burkhead and James Wilder Jr.
- Russell Bodine is the starter at center. He's the only first-year player to make the two-deep depth chart.
As expected, rookie
- At defensive end, Wallace Gilberry is listed in the base 4-3 formation as the starter at right end, while Carlos Dunlap plays the left. Margus Hunt, who has rotated at times with Gilberry at both end positions, is backing up Dunlap. Veteran Robert Geathers backs up Gilberry.
- At safety, Taylor Mays is listed as the first backup behind Reggie Nelson at free safety. Second-year player Shawn Williams is the backup to George Iloka at strong safety, and veteran Daniel Manning ranks third on the depth chart behind both of them.
- Brandon Tate is listed as the starter at both punt and kick returner.
Here's the full two-deep (starter listed first):
Tyler Eifert (TE)
Orson Charles (H-back)
Left Offensive Tackle
Left Offensive Guard
Right Offensive Guard
Right Offensive Tackle
Left Defensive End
Right Defensive End