Thoughts on Panthers 15, Titans 7
August, 29, 2010
By Paul Kuharsky | ESPN.com
Some bullet-point thoughts on the Titans’ 15-7 preseason loss at Carolina on Saturday night.
- Rookie end Derrick Morgan did some very nice work getting outside and going around right tackle Geoff Schwartz twice early and pressuring Matt Moore. It was an encouraging sign from the first-round pick’s first preseason action.
- With Bo Scaife not playing, Craig Stevens' 23-yard catch continued to show he is more than just a blocker.
- Alterraun Verner forced a Wallace Wright fumble and Stephen Tulloch recovered it when Carolina was closing in on a score just before intermission.
- Dave Ball continues to play some very good run defense.
- Chris Johnson found virtually no room with 10 yards on eight carries. The Titans have zero doubt that he will be himself once the games have meaning and they are game planning. But a better performance would still be a bit reassuring.
- Vince Young fumbled early when he got hit after a pump fake. Guard Jake Scott saved him with a recovery. This comes after he dribbled the ball off his chest -- which he recovered -- after a pump fake in the Titans win over the Arizona Cardinals last week.
- Carolina rushed the passer very well and the Titans were ineffective at getting in the way. Young was sacked four times and took a couple other note-worthy hits.
- Damian Williams did not do much on three return chances and fumbled as he took a big hit at the end of the final one. The Titans have played three games, he’s played two and I am sure they’d like to have a better feeling about him in game action to this point.
- One third-down conversion for the first team offense in the first half.