First look: Jaguars' depth chart notes
August, 6, 2012
By Paul Kuharsky | ESPN.com
Some notes on the Jacksonville Jaguars’ first unofficial depth chart, released in advance of their preseason opener against the Giants on Friday night at EverBank Field. Take note, it’s common for seniority to determine close spots on paper at this stage.
- C.J. Mosley is the second starting defensive tackle, ahead of Terrance Knighton, who missed offseason work and the first few days of training camp while recovering from an eye injury but returned to action at a light 330 pounds.
- Rookie Andre Branch is listed as the starter at left end, opposite Jeremy Mincey. Austen Lane is listed behind Mincey, with Aaron Morgan behind Branch.
- Brian Robiskie is listed as the second guy at the X receiver spot, behind Laurent Robinson, and ahead of Taylor Price and Kevin Elliott.
- The chart doesn’t include Justin Blackmon, who just agreed to terms on Monday. Cecil Shorts heads the Z receivers, ahead of Mike Thomas and Lee Evans. We’ll have to see if Thomas is first in line in the slot when the Jaguars go to three-wide.
- Rashean Mathis is the starter at left corner ahead of Aaron Ross. That’s not a surprise as he’s the longtime Jaguars veteran and Ross is a newly added free agent. The competition between the two is far from over. The guy who doesn’t win will be the nickel.
- Thomas is the first punt returner, Shorts the second. Running backs are at kick returner: Rashad Jennings first and Jalen Parmele second.