Reading the coverage: Garrard heroic second game in a row
September, 29, 2008
By Paul Kuharsky | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky
Here's a look at how Jags-over-Texans and Titans-over-Vikings played in the papers and online.
Please let me know if I missed something good with a note to the mailbag.
- Defense and special teams didn't hold up their ends as the Texans lost a heartbreaker, writes John McClain.
- The Texans' offense came to life in Jacksonville, says McClain.
- Richard Justice says a close loss doesn't mean things are better for the Texans.
- David Garrard's running killed Houston, according to Megan Manfull.
- Safety C.C. Brown fractured a forearm and will miss some time, writes Manfull.
- Casey Irsay, daughter of the Colts owner, has worked her way up in the family business. A good look behind the scenes by Mike Chappell.
- Coverage teams have been better for the Colts, writes Phil Richards.
- A Good Samaritan found and returned Tony Dungy's credit card, reports Mike Chappell.
- The Jaguars won on a last-second field goal for the second week in a row. Michael C. Wright has the details.
- Gene Frenette says David Garrard picked up on the bailout theme and got the defense off the hook.
- Two weeks, two game-winning drives for Garrard, writes Vito Stellino.
- The Jaguars started without Reggie Nelson (knee) and lost Rashean Mathis (shin) in the second quarter, leaving a thinned out secondary for the Texans to pick apart, according to Hays Carlyon.
- Jerry Porter gets just one catch in his first game for the Jags, says Stellino.
- A trick play that worked gave the Jaguars a big boost, writes Tania Ganguli.
- The Titans show they are an AFC force, writes Tom Weir.
- As the Titans left the field, instead of "Here we go Titans, here we go," it was "4 and 0 Titans, 4 and 0," says Jim Wyatt.
- Gus Frerotte accused Kyle Vanden Bosch of a cheap shot, but KVB defends himself, writes Wyatt.
- The Titans' balance should concern everybody else in the AFC, says Clark Judge.
- Tennessee bullied the Vikings, says Thomas George of NFL.com.
- Tennessee's defense managed to slow down Adrian Peterson, writes Gary Estwick.
- David Climer says with Kerry Collins at quarterback, business is booming.
- Joe Biddle says everybody on defense contributed.