Colts Camp Report: Day 4
July, 27, 2014
By Mike Wells | ESPN.com
ANDERSON, Ind. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Indianapolis Colts training camp:
- The only sign of receiver Reggie Wayne having any kind of knee issue was the ice bag wrapped around his right knee as he caught passes from the Jugs machine after practice Sunday. Turns out the ice wrapped around Wayne’s knee was just a precaution. Besides that, as he hauled in passes during a red-zone drill in practice, Wayne looked like the player who terrorized defenses for many years prior to tearing his ACL last October. He caught a touchdown pass from quarterback Andrew Luck between two defenders and another one from Luck that was tipped by the defender. There’s still more than a month before the Sept. 7 opener against Denver, but Wayne is continuing to make steady progress toward regaining his form from the torn ACL.
- The Colts have been using the term “soft-tissue” issue when talking about why safety LaRon Landry, running back Trent Richardson and cornerback Vontae Davis have not been practicing in training camp. A little more light is starting to be shed on what their injuries are. Landry and Davis are dealing with groin problems and Richardson has a hamstring issue. Richardson isn’t practicing, but he has been catching passes off the Jugs machine at the conclusion of practices. Defensive tackle Josh Chapman and linebacker Josh McNary did not practice Sunday.
- The Colts signed veteran Mike Adams, who played on a Denver team that reached the Super Bowl last season, in the middle of June to add to the safety competition. But it’s been Delano Howell, who was projected to be the starter after Antoine Bethea signed with San Francisco, who's been working with the first-team defense. Sergio Brown has been getting first-team reps at the other safety position with Landry out of the lineup.
- The Colts had their first practice in full pads Sunday. The pads brought out the competitiveness. Center Khaled Holmes and linebacker Cam Johnson had to be separated after a play, and then linebacker Daniel Adongo and offensive lineman Joe Reitz had to be separated. During a stretch where he went 13-for-13, Luck was 7-of-7 on red-zone pass attempts.
- The Colts made a few roster moves Sunday. They waived tackle Jack Breckner, placed linebacker Aaron Morgan on injured reserve and signed running back Davin Meggett to give them an extra body in the backfield since Richardson isn’t practicing and Vick Ballard (Achilles) is out for the season. Meggett spent time with the Colts during the 2012 and 2013 seasons. He originally signed with the Houston Texans in 2012 as an undrafted free agent out of Maryland. Meggett is the son of former New York Giants running back David Meggett.