Texans Camp Report: Day 13
August, 7, 2014
By Tania Ganguli | ESPN.com
HOUSTON -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Houston Texans training camp.
- Coach J.J. Watt made an appearance at practice today. During a team drill with the first-team defense on the sideline, the Texans' All-Pro defensive end stood removed from his defensive teammates, barking instructions and encouragement to the defense on the field. Sometimes he called out the opposing protections. Sometimes he implored someone to make a play.
- Ryan Fitzpatrick's increasing comfort in the Texans' offense becomes more apparent daily. He's not too shabby with his legs. During one play today, I spotted Fitzpatrick on the run -- chased by the fearsome trio of Watt, Jadeveon Clowney and D.J. Swearinger. Fitzpatrick actually made the best of the play, getting safely out of bounds without losing yardage. No fetal position. No running backward.
- Texans' cornerback Johnathan Joseph won't play on Saturday in the preseason game at Arizona. He missed practice today and said he won't play Saturday. Joseph said the main goal was to be ready for Week 1. I asked if he has any concerns about whether or not he'll be ready for the start of the season and without hesitation he said, "No."
- Cornerback Josh Victorian intercepted a Case Keenum pass late in practice, setting off defensive back celebration fireworks. They all ran down to congratulate Victorian as he raced into the opposite end zone.
- The Texans are heading to Arizona on Friday after a morning walkthrough in Houston. They'll play the Cardinals at 7:30 p.m. CT on Saturday.