Texans Camp Report: Day 17
August, 11, 2014
By Tania Ganguli | ESPN.com
HOUSTON -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Houston Texans training camp:
- A couple nice plays for defensive backs today. Rookie corner Andre Hal knocked a pass away from receiver DeAndre Hopkins, which isn't easy to do. Corner Brandon Harris picked off quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick midway through this morning's session.
- Quarterback Case Keenum completed 5 of 11 passes during a team drill this morning. One incomplete pass was batted. One looked like a miscommunication between Keenum and the receiver. Texans' coach Bill O'Brien said today that Keenum and rookie Tom Savage are still working out the backup quarterback battle. Despite his struggles on Saturday, Fitzpatrick is still the Texans' starter (which is the right move, by the way).
- Andre Johnson and Arian Foster missed practice again with their hamstring injuries. As usual, Foster declined interview requests. Johnson said he is feeling better. O'Brien said this weekend that both players would have a shot at playing this weekend.
- Practice was pushed back 30 minutes this morning so the team could meet at 8 a.m. and discuss some of what went wrong during their first preseason game. "We had a good meeting," O'Brien said. "Showed them like I told you guys the good and the not so good. I believe we came out and worked hard at trying to crack some of the mistakes and getting better at some of the things we’re doing well."
- Tomorrow's practice will begin at 8 a.m. and will be the last of the week before the Texans welcome the Atlanta Falcons (and "Hard Knocks") to town. They'll have joint practices on Wednesday and Thursday.