Titans' 35 first-half points a Turkey Day record
|AP Photo/Paul Sancya|
|Titans RB Chris Johnson had 89 yards and two TDs in the first quarter.|
Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky
DETROIT -- There is not much suspense here at Ford Field, where the Titans are up on the Lions, 35-10, at halftime.
Elias Sport Bureau reports that the 35 first-half points by the Titans are the most ever by a team playing on Thanksgiving. The previous high: 27, in 2004 (Indianapolis vs. Detroit) and 1990 (Detroit vs. Denver).
I suspect someone in your house is asleep on your couch, so I am writing this very quietly. Please read it in a whisper.
The question now is how much might we see third-string running back Quinton Ganther carry the ball before this is over? And could Vince Young be handing it to him? Smash (LenDale White) and Dash (Chris Johnson) have done major damage. Each has two touchdowns.
Running against this defense certainly has the Titans feeling good about themselves, but how much are they really fixing things when they're facing such feeble defense?
With the Titans up 25, I yield the floor to Vince Masi of ESPN Research, who provides some excellent notes on this game:
- Johnson's 58-yard touchdown run was the Titans' fifth run of 50-plus yards this season (three by Johnson, two by White). No other team has more than two such runs this year. It was their third touchdown run of 50-plus yards this season (two by Johnson, one by White), also most in the NFL this year.
- The Titans' 21 points in the first quarter were their most in a quarter since scoring 24 points in the fourth quarter in Week 12 of the 2006 season -- a 24-21 win over the Giants.
- The Titans' 121 rushing yards in the first quarter was four more than the team rushed for over the previous six quarters combined (72 in the second half at Jacksonville, 45 total against the Jets).
- The Lions have now been outscored 91-41 in the first quarter this season.
- Detroit's Jason Hanson kicked a 53-yard field goal against the Titans and tied Morten Anderson's NFL record for the most kicks from 50-plus yards with 40.
- Johnson had 119 yards in the first half. That is one more yard than his total from the previous three games combined (118). He is over 100 yards for the third time this season.
- Since the Lions took a 17-0 lead after the first quarter in Week 12 vs. the Buccaneers, they have been outscored, 73-13, in the last five quarters.