Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Jacksonville UFAs to be
By Paul Kuharsky
Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky
The Jacksonville Jaguars' unrestricted-free-agents-to-be, in rough order of importance as it relates to their potential to return or the hole they would leave.
| || |
| ||Fernando Medina/US Presswire |
| ||Linebacker Mike Peterson isn't expected to return to Jacksonville next season. |
- Strong safety Gerald Sensabaugh: A solid starter they expect will get an offer somewhere else that they won't compete with.
- Center Brad Meester: Seems unlikely to get a significant offer elsewhere and they could have him back as they rebuild the line.
- Linebacker Mike Peterson: His benching was the big distraction of the team's season, and it's been clear for a long time that they won't try to re-sign him.
- Left tackle Khalif Barnes: Simply has not panned out on the level this team needed.
- Receiver Reggie Williams: Another player who didn't live up to his draft status and isn't expected back.
- Cornerback Scott Starks: Special-teamer can be a contributor and provide depth; a knee injury landed him on IR early.
- Guard Chris Naeole: Wasn't back last year until injuries necessitated his return.
- Free safety Pierson Prioleau: Veteran was linked to Gregg Williams, who's out as defensive coordinator.
- Long-snapper Joe Zelenka: Has been in the role since 2001.