Sunday, August 29, 2010
Thoughts on Jaguars 19, Buccaneers 13
By Paul Kuharsky
Some bullet-point thoughts on the Jaguars’ 19-13 preseason win at Tampa Bay on Saturday night.
- Josh Scobee hit on four of four field-goal tries – from 35, 43, 26 and 48 yards.
- John Matthews made a wonderful 27-yard diving touchdown catch of a well-placed Luke McCown pass.
- The third-down defense allowed the Buccaneers to convert just twice in 11 attempts.
- The Jaguars held the ball for 39 minutes.
- Scotty McGee had an electric 47-yard kickoff return to open the game.
- Jacksonville was 0-for-4 in the red zone, an area that still needs major work. David Garrard threw an interception to Barrett Ruud at the goal line.
- Garrard’s longest pass play was 26 yards (and that was his first pass, to Marcedes Lewis), McCown’s was 27 (the touchdown to Matthews) and the long run was 18 yards by Mike Thomas, a receiver.
- Nine penalties for 62 yards.
- When Derek Cox fell down and allowed a long pass from Josh Johnson to Mike Williams up the right side, Reggie Nelson was next on the scene. He failed to slow Williams and looked lackadaisical in pursuit from there.