Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Titans OTA notes and observations
By Paul Kuharsky
Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Some things I noticed or thought you'd want to know from the Titans' organized training activities session Tuesday:
- Jevon Kearse, coming back from knee surgery, worked with the defensive line but not in team periods. He ran on the side on his own late and looks to be moving well.
In a one-on-one red zone period:
- Receiver Craphonso Thorpe let rookie corner Jason McCourty pry a ball free after Kerry Collins delivered a nice pass to the back left of the end zone. "He wanted it more than you," offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger told Thorpe.
- Dominique Edison gained ground with a very good first step and beat Vincent Fuller to the back right corner where he pulled in a pass from Vince Young.
- Paul Williams made a nice play to go up and take a ball away from Cary Williams, but injured his left leg on the landing. Jeff Fisher later said it's a groin injury that probably costs Williams the team's final two OTA practices.
- Fuller rebounded with an excellent play against Chris Davis in roughly the same spot. Davis went up to make a nice catch and survived Fuller's first attempt to strip it, but let it come free the second time.
In seven-on-seven work:
- Nate Washington reached down and collected a pass from Collins that fit nicely between Cortland Finnegan and Chris Hope but was still difficult to get to.
- DeMarcus Faggins broke up a pass intended for Davis (missed the quarterback, sorry), but then got up slowly. He was fine as he had another interception later in what was a very good practice for him.
- On a play that was dead, Patrick Ramsey threw up the right sideline. Michael Griffin, out of the play but watching from the boundary stepped up, picked it one-handed while holding his helmet by the facemask in the other hand, ran with the "interception" up the sideline a bit, then punted the ball. Irrelevant, but entertaining.
- David Thornton sliced into the backfield and caught Chris Johnson in a way that forced a fumble.
In full-team work:
- LenDale White got hardly any work, and Fisher said it was a matter of work distribution. Chris Henry, Javon Ringer, Quinton Ganther and Rafael Little all got some touches. Henry dropped a low pass to the flat that was behind him, but still hit him in the hands. I think I've been a little overly optimistic about Little, who didn't stand out.
- Justin Gage muscled a pass away from Nick Harper as he went out of bounds facing back to the ball.
- Rookie tight end Jared Cook dropped a backward pass in the flat and rookie linebacker Gerald McRath was smart to pounce on it. Officials worked the practice and the one near us on the sideline confirmed Ramsey's throw was a lateral.
- Tight end Matthew Mulligan drew the fury of Heimerdinger when he made a mistake lining up that forced the offense to re-huddle.
- Working in the red zone, Young rolled left and hit Craig Stevens who was moving with him just short of the goal line. Stevens booted it.
*STANDARD OTA DISCLAIMER: PUT STOCK INTO THESE DEVELOPMENTS AT YOUR OWN RISK.