Thursday, August 13, 2009
Reading the coverage: VY to discount 2010?
By Paul Kuharsky
Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky
Michael Lombardi assesses who's blue chip or nearly so in the AFC South. No mention of Eric Winston or David Stewart but Reggie Nelson makes the list?
- Dominique Barber is beginning to challenge for a starting safety spot, writes Jordan Godwin. That's good news at a position that needs to be upgraded.
- Bruce Matthews is helping candidates to snap better, says the Chronicle notebook.
- Three starters are sidelined by injuries. Is it a bad run of early luck or a sign of things to come? John McClain considers.
- Battleredblog.com wonders if Ryan Torain could be Houston-bound. I speculated during the offseason that the Texans could jump on him if he came free from Denver, but now he's hurt so it may change the interest level.
- The Chronicle's camp insider has several nuggets.
- Lance Zierlein breaks down five Texans.
- Brian Cushing's injury history prompts Alan Burge to reserve the right to be concerned.
- The Colts' defense is the same scheme with new wrinkles and Reggie Wayne says it's very different, writes Mike Chappell.
- The Colts can't say when Bob Sanders will play, says Chappell.
- Indy feels like it will run better this season, writes Tom James. There might be an AFC South Blog column coming Thursday that delves into a similar theme.
- Peter King's postcard from Colts camp.
- Chappell takes questions about Sanders, Tony Ugoh and Terrance Taylor.
- Donald Brown has impressed with his professionalism, says John Oehser.
- Two Colts fans enjoyed lunch with Bill Polian and Peter King after winning an auction that benefitted Dr. Z, says Phillip B. Wilson.
- A practice report pieced together by stampedeblue.com.
- Donnie Nickey and Ryan Fowler each got hit with $5,000 fines for hits in the Hall of Fame game, reports Jim Wyatt.
- Vince Young's agent said the quarterback could be willing to play for less than scheduled in 2010 if that's what it takes, reports Terry McCormick. Is it the right time for Major Adams to touch on this topic? I sure don't think so.
- Don Banks' postcard from Nashville. (Aren't these more like letters? Great reads and the more beef the better, but on a postcard the print would have to be tiny to fit 1,409 words. Yes, I spent my morning counting them.)
- Returner Mark Jones is back in action and Kenny Britt is going to get a look, says Wyatt.
- Craig Stevens was in four scraps during a Wednesday practice, says McCormick. Is that a record?
- Vincent Fuller has joined the injured list, says Wyatt.
- Wyatt and Gary Estwick offer their stock report.