Wednesday, July 27, 2011
Tracking today's developments
By Paul Kuharsky
Some quick hits pertaining to the division...
- Houston and Jacksonville lost out on a player they’d at least inquired about and should have been chasing hard. San Diego safety Eric Weddle resigned with the Chargers. Kevin Acee reports the five-year deal is worth $40 million with $19 million guaranteed. Pete Prisco tweeted that Houston was a late player Tuesday night but that Jacksonville never made an offer.
- Defensive end Jason Babin is fielding a lot of interest, and the Titans don’t seem to be in the mix, says Jim Wyatt. Philadelphia, Atlanta and Chicago appear to be first-tier suitors, with Kansas City and Buffalo also in the mix.
- Matt Leinart did not find a team willing to allow him to compete for a starting job. Seattle might have been his best chance, but once Tarvaris Jackson landed with the Seahawks that died. So he’s re-signed with the Texans, according to John McClain. Leinart could be competing with fifth-round pick T.J. Yates for the No. 3 spot behind Matt Schuab and Dan Orlovsky.
- Linebacker Stephen Tulloch tweeted this: “Decisions,Decisions,Decisions....Feels like being drafted all over again....” Reports are the Lions are pressing to sign the Titans free agent.
- Colts right tackle Ryan Diem, who's due more than $5 million this season, is expecting word soon on his status with the team.