Monday, November 5, 2012
Foster got great blocking from Texans
By Paul Kuharsky
The Texans offensive line did exceptional work for Arian Foster on Sunday
According to ESPN Stats and Info, just 16 of Foster’s 111 rush yards came after first contact, tied for the fewest in a 100-yard game since the start of 2009 (including games with a minimum of 20 carries).
Foster’s 4.0 yards before contact per rush was tied for his highest in a game this season.
For a back of his caliber to have a chance to build up speed and assess what’s in front of him for four yards is a tremendous advantage.
I’m typically a skeptic about split jobs. But Gary Kubiak and his offensive line coach, John Benton, deserve a lot of credit for the way they’ve patched up the right side of the line.
Derek Newton played 77 percent of the time at right tackle, with Ryan Harris getting the other 23 percent. Rookie Ben Jones played 73 percent at right guard with Antoine Caldwell getting the other 27 percent.
It’s patchwork in a way, but it seems to be maximizing the play of the rebuilding side.
The line not only run blocked well, but pass protected well too. Matt Schaub was hit three times with two sacks.
Another big factor that helped the run game: The Bills, who are the league's worst run defense and regularly gets shredded.