Friday, April 11, 2014
Holding Wayne out is the right thing
By Mike Wells
INDIANAPOLIS - Will Reggie Wayne not participating in minicamp impact the Indianapolis Colts' chemistry?
That was one of the questions that came up after the receiver said he probably won't take part in the team's minicamp.
Wayne tore his ACL in Week 7 last season. Holding him out until the start of training camp at the end of July is the right thing for the Colts to do.
Wayne is a veteran, he doesn't need to work on his timing with Luck. He's simply excited to be out there with his teammates again even if he'll be limited on what he does.
The fact that 35-year-old Wayne is ahead of schedule is another indication that there's little doubt he'll be able to fully recover from the injury.
Of course there will be questions about how comfortable Wayne will be running sharp routes and making hard plants on his surgically repaired knee.
Don't get me wrong, Wayne wants to be out there during minicamp. He told me he's always been "kind of hard headed," but waiting until training camp is the best thing for him to do.
"It's only natural to think about it, but that's why I'm going to slowly work my way back out there," Wayne said by phone earlier this week.
Wayne has high expectations for the offense now that they've added Hakeem Nicks to join him, T.Y. Hilton and tight ends Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener.