Thursday, May 8, 2014
Some numbers related to Clowney
By Tania Ganguli
HOUSTON -- We're waiting to talk to Jadeveon Clowney via conference call and Rick Smith and Bill O'Brien in person here.
But in the mean time, some stats passed along by ESPN Stats and Info related to this pick:
- This was the third time in franchise history the Texans had the No. 1 pick: 2006 (DE Mario Williams), 2002 (QB David Carr).
- Clowney is the first defensive player drafted No. 1 overall since Williams in 2006.
- Clowney is the 15th defensive player drafted first overall in the common draft era.
- Clowney is the 10th defensive end drafted first overall in the common draft era. Two of the previous nine defensive ends are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
- South Carolina is the 10th school with multiple No. 1 overall picks
- Clowney is the 10th SEC player drafted first overall. The SEC now ranks second behind the Pac-12 with 13. The only other SEC defensive player to be drafted No. 1 overall was Auburn linebacker Aundray Bruce in 1988.
- 2013-14 is the first time since 1994-97 that a quarterback wasn't selected at No. 1 in consecutive drafts.
- Texans are the first team in common draft era to take three defensive ends in the first round during a 4-year span (2012 -- Whitney Mercilus, 2011 -- J.J. Watt)
- Houston has selected a defensive end in the first round in five of their past 10 drafts.