Thursday, February 11, 2010
Jags part ways with Holt, Thomas, Meier
By Paul Kuharsky
The Jaguars release of Torry Holt and Tra Thomas Thursday came as no surprise. It had been reported the players were told it was coming. Rob Meier, who was on injured-reserve last season, was also let go.
“After completing our postseason roster evaluation, we’ve made the decision in the best interest of the organization to release three veteran players with tremendous playing history in the league,” GM Gene Smith said in the team’s news release. “All three players have played ten or more years in the NFL and have made a positive impact on the Jaguars organization. These decisions certainly weren’t easy ones, as Torry, Tra and Rob have over 350 starts between them and they still have the ability to contribute for other teams in the league.”
The fact is, they all amounted to insurance and the Jaguars letting them go says they have confidence in the youngsters in the receiving corps and at offensive and defensive tackle.
The Jaguars are going to continue to get younger, and have graduated past the point where Smith and the Jags felt these veterans who’d have minor roles were needed for leadership or tone setting.