AFC South: Ulrich Winkler
Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Some quick observations from the Titans' practice this morning. It was veterans only, no rookies.
- LenDale White has lost weight and looks much fitter. I will have a post with more on how he looks and what he said a bit later, but it seems like a light has gone on for him and he's taking some of the advice he's been getting for a few years seriously now.
- Nate Washington's speed has not been over-advertized. He made a nice catch on a deep ball from Kerry Collins when he streaked about 25 yards downfield, then cut to the sideline. He caught the ball and held on even as he banged into the pads set up to surround the base of a portable video tower. Later in a one-on-one rep against Cortland Finnegan, he cut to the middle against press coverage on a short route and dropped a catchable ball.
- Cary Williams, a seventh-round pick from last season, worked ahead of veteran addition DeMarcus Faggins with Nick Harper out of team work as he continues to rehab from abdomen/groin surgery. But that's likely due to system seniority as much as anything.
- Vince Young threw a fantastic deep ball to Lavelle Hawkins on the right sideline that Hawkins did great work to corral over his right shoulder. It was on the opposite side of the field from where I was standing, but Hawkins said later he was in bounds. Young also threw at least two picks, one to Ryan Fowler in the middle of the field that was either a very poor decision or a blown route and another that was tipped by the intended receiver or a linebacker and wound up in the arms of Vincent Fuller. Don't want to read too much into either, but Young was pointing at himself after one bad throw and had a mellow and straightforward session with reporters after practice.
- Hawkins had another nice catch, diving to pull in a pass in the middle of the field.
- Fuller got a rave review for a one-on-one play in which he broke up a pass intended for Hawkins. Defensive backs coach Marcus Robertson told Fuller it was "textbook."
- Patrick Ramsey showed a strong arm but hardly looked great. He was intercepted by corner Christian Morton on a ball intended for Hawkins.
- I can't say it enough -- I love fullback Ahmard Hall with the ball in his hands. He caught a short little pass to the left and turned the corner with authority and speed that continues to surprise me.
- Titans quarterbacks seemed to work a lot out of the shotgun.
- Keith Bulluck and Tony Brown were excused absences. Kevin Mawae, Jevon Kearse, Jacob Ford and Ulrich Winkler didn't practice as they continue to rehab injuries. (Jim Wyatt reports Kearse recently had a knee scoped.) Harper and Dave Ball didn't work past the position-specific period.