ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Cornerback Stanford Routt signed his restricted free-agency tender and was participating in practice Friday.
- Receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, Oakland’s first-round pick in 2009, had three dropped passes in the morning session. His hands were his biggest issue in a disappointing rookie season. At times, Heyward-Bey did look solid on Friday morning.
- Middle linebacker Rolando McClain, who Oakland took with the No. 8 overall pick last week, said he had the team ship him the playbook the day after he was taken. McClain is renowned for his study habits. He said Friday he wants to quickly become a leader in Oakland. Raiders’ fans, you may have something special in this guy.
- Receiver Chaz Schilens was held out as a precaution. He should be fine for OTAs, coach Tom Cable said.
- Fourth-round pick Bruce Campbell has begun the switch from tackle to guard. The Raiders think he can be a top player, Campbell was a combine star. He had an interest comment Friday: “I want to show I’m a football player and not just an athlete.”
- Fellow fourth-round pick, speedy receiver Jacoby Ford, joked that his friends told him he’d be taken by the Raiders after he was timed as the fastest receiver at the combine. Oakland lived up to its reputation.
- Oakland cut fullback Oren O’Neal on Friday.
- Cable was pleased that Friday’s first session was cleaner than the first minicamp practice last year. “We didn’t look like the Keystone Kops,” Cable quipped.
- Veteran running back Michael Bennett is trying out for the team.
- Despite saying earlier this year he was retiring, Oakland great Willie Brown was at the minicamp.