- Bill Williamson, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson
I played along with our quarterbacking ranking feature.
It was an interesting exercise. I learned it's a pretty good league for quarterbacks these days. Some of the players I had ranked low are quality players and are winners.
Here's my list:
1. Peyton Manning, Indianapolis: Manning may be the best quarterback ever to play.
2. Tom Brady, New England: OK, Brady is 1b.
3. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh: Big Ben isn't pretty, but he's a winner.
4. Drew Brees, New Orleans: Brees has had his share of doubters. Not anymore. He's got the goods.
5. Philip Rivers, San Diego: Rivers is a winner. End of story.
6. Carson Palmer, Cincinnati: A good quarterback in a lousy situation.
7. Jay Cutler, Denver: He is not elite yet, but he's on his way.
8. Matt Ryan, Atlanta: What he accomplished as a rookie was astounding.
9. Tony Romo, Dallas: He may need to focus better, but he's a big-league talent.
10. Kurt Warner, Arizona: A future Hall of Famer.
12. Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia: He isn't perfect, but McNabb's a solid player.
13. Matt Hasselbeck, Seattle: Hasselbeck is a gamer.
14. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay: He'll be a Pro Bowler by 2010.
15. Chad Pennington, Miami: A gutsy, hard-nosed player.
16. Matt Cassel, Kansas City: We'll see how he does outside of the Patriots' bubble.
17. Trent Edwards, Buffalo: He has a chance to be very good.
18. Joe Flacco , Baltimore: He has a chance to move up this list quickly.
19. Jason Campbell, Washington: This is a big year for him.
20. Matthew Stafford: Detroit may be wise to take him with the top pick.
21. Matt Schaub, Houston: I expect a big year from him.
22. Mark Sanchez: He has a chance for fast success.
23. Jake Delhomme, Carolina: He's slipping, but he's had a nice career.
24. Kerry Collins, Tennessee: He's finishing his career strong.
25. Jeff Garcia: He still has something left in the tank.
26. Brady Quinn, Cleveland: He will move up this list soon.
27. David Garrard, Jacksonville: He doesn't make many mistakes.
28. Tarvaris Jackson, Minnesota: He's still raw and he needs to improve.
29. Marc Bulger, St. Louis: The end is near.
30. JaMarcus Russell, Oakland: The jury is still out, but he hasn't been impressive yet.
31. Derek Anderson, Cleveland: He needs a fresh start.
32. Kyle Orton, Chicago: He's just so-so.
33. Shaun Hill, San Francisco: Same with this guy.
1dEric D. Williams
3dEric D. Williams