AFC West news and notes
• Denver star receiver Brandon Marshall had hip surgery and he will be out until training camp. This is important since Marshall will miss minicamps as the Broncos try to learn Josh McDaniels' offensive system. With Denver looking like it will break in a new quarterback, Marshall could have used the minicamps.
Marshall missed all of the offseason last year after suffering an arm injury. He admitted that he was sluggish in training camp. He will have to deal with the same issue this year.
• It's been reported that the Broncos didn't attend the USC pro day workout Wednesday. Why wouldn't they be there? There was all kinds of NFL talent.
• The Oakland Raiders are closely studying Cal Poly receiver Ramses Barden. He will likely be a second-round pick. If the Raiders don't take a receiver in the first round, he could be the target with their second pick. Barden has been compared to Keyshawn Johnson.
• The Chargers are bringing in a bunch of defensive players in for pre-draft meetings.
• Chargers.com reported that star defensive tackle Jamal Williams will not be charged for a recent drunken driving arrest.
• Larry Johnson had his grievance hearing against the Chiefs for unpaid bonus money heard Wednesday. A ruling is expected within the next two weeks. The Chiefs and Johnson are trying to find a common ground to keep the running back in Kansas City.