The fallout from Oakland's spending spree

February, 25, 2011
2/25/11
6:20
PM ET
INDIANAPOLIS -- The Oakland Raiders' wild spending spree in the past week has been the talk of the NFL combine.

Last week, Oakland re-signed defensive tackle Richard Seymour to a two-year, $30 million deal. Thursday, Oakland surprised the league by handing cornerback Stanford Routt a three-year, $31.5 million deal and giving linebacker Kamerion Wimbley the franchise tag for $10. 1 million. The Raiders then signed 31-year-old potential defensive tackle John Henderson to a two-year, $8 million deal.

Personnel from many teams were quietly amazed how much money has spent. Many league observers said the Denver Broncos were lucky they secured star Champ Bailey to a four-year, $43 million deal before news of Routt’s deal broke. The Bailey deal now seems like a bargain.

Here is a column that says Raiders are undermining the rest of the owners by attacking their free agents now before teams know if there will be a salary cap and what the terms of it will be.

I don’t see it that way. The Raiders only need to worry about themselves and if they want to take a risk now, that’s up to them. But they must live with the fact that there may be repercussions. It’s not the rest of the league’s business what the Raiders do. Oakland owner Al Davis, 81, wants to win now. He is making his own decisions based on his own timetable.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus said Friday at the combine that he wished the other teams would follow the Raiders’ lead and take care of business. Of course Rosenhaus feels that way, the Raiders are paying players now instead of making them wait.

Bill Williamson | email

ESPN Oakland Raiders reporter

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?

AFC WEST SCOREBOARD

Sunday, 1/25