Wild Tuesday scuttlebutt
July, 26, 2011
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported the Patriots are planning to cut linebacker Tully Banta-Cain. He had 15 sacks the past two season. He was in New England with both Kansas City general manager Scott Pioli and Chiefs defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel. The Chiefs could use a veteran edge rusher. This could be a reasonably priced connection.
- Schefter reported the Packers will either trade or cut linebacker Nick Barnett. He could fit in both with San Diego and Kansas City.
- Schefter reports the New York Jets are expected to make a run at Oakland free agent Nnamdi Asomugha and pair him with Darrelle Revis. They are the two best cornerbacks in the NFL, and signing Asomugha could make the Jets a favorite to win the Super Bowl.
- Keep up with the free-agency frenzy with our free-agent tracker.
- Los Angeles has moved closer to getting an NFL team. The Chargers and Raiders have been connected to Los Angeles as possible teams that could relocate there.
- The Bengals maintain quarterback Carson Palmer is not available in a trade. That is one less quarterback for Denver to worry about as competition for Kyle Orton on the open market. The quarterback position will be a domino effect. Once one quarterback, say Kevin Kolb or Matt Hasselbeck, goes, the rest of the market will then fall into place.
- UPDATE: The Chargers’ second preseason game, in Dallas, has been moved from Aug. 20 to Aug. 21. It will be shown on NBC. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. ET.