Raiders pursuing OT Jared Gaither
July, 27, 2011
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com
Let’s look at some early morning notes before we gear up for another busy day on Wednesday. You know, later today.
- The Raiders aren’t just talking to San Francisco safety Dashon Goldson. They are also in talks with Baltimore tackle Jared Gaither. He is a talented player who could help Oakland’s young offensive line. He’d be the Raiders’ best offensive lineman. Gaither played for Hue Jackson and Al Saunders in Baltimore. Gaither would be pricey, but he’s needed in Oakland.
- The San Diego Union Tribune reported the Chargers cut linebacker Jyles Tucker and receiver Buster Davis and that linebacker Antwan Applewhite will soon join Tucker on the outside. Tucker was given a contract extension three years ago and the Chargers thought he would become a premier pass rusher. But he couldn’t stay healthy. That’s been the case with Davis, a former first-round pick. It’s been expected that he will be cut. The moves will be made official Thursday.
- It’s being reported that Washington is close to dealing quarterback Donovan McNabb to Minnesota for a sixth-round pick and a conditional future sixth-round pick. This would take the Vikings out of the mix for Denver quarterback Kyle Orton. I don’t think, however, it would affect Orton’s value. McNabb and Orton are in different situations and Orton has more value at this point.
- Now that San Diego has signed Takeo Spikes, Green Bay inside linebacker Nick Barnett likely is out of the picture there. Barnett could attract interest in Kansas City, though.
- The Denver Post reports the Broncos are trying to re-sign defensive tackle Marcus Thomas. He’d help a thin position.
- Here are San Diego’s 19 undrafted free agents: Arizona C Colin Baxter, Texas Tech LB Bront Bird, Auburn DE Mike Blanc, Arkansas CB Ramon Broadway, Maryland WR Adrian Cannon, South Carolina FB Patrick DiMarco, Georgia LB Darryl Gamble, TCU DT Kelly Griffin, Washington T Cody Habben, Kansas State CB Stephen Harrison, Cincinnati WR Vidal Hazelton, Oklahoma WR Cameron Kenney, Minnesota-Duluth RB Isaac Odim, Colorado WR Travon Patterson, Boston College DE Damik Scafe, Whittier WR Giovanni Stanley, Baylor TE Brad Taylor, Oregon T Bo Thran and Wisconsin QB Scott Tolzien.