San Diego notes
February, 21, 2013
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com
INDIANAPOLIS -- Here are random notes from the media sessions with new San Diego general manager Tom Telesco and coach Mike McCoy:
- McCoy said the team will adapt some zone-blocking philosophies, but will use whatever scheme best fits his talent on the offensive line.
- McCoy praised veteran tight end Antonio Gates and his ability to always get open. McCoy said Gates will be a big part of the team’s new scheme.
- McCoy said offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt will call the plays. McCoy called the plays in Denver as offensive coordinator.
- Last year, the Chargers scrimmaged with the Cowboys in the preseason last year. McCoy said he has his training camp schedule planned for this year and has no such workouts planned. But he said he is not opposed to the idea.
- Telesco said he is gaining wisdom and inspiration from the job Chuck Pagano and Ryan Grigson did last year in their first year together in Indianapolis. Telesco was in the front office with the Colts.
- While the focus in San Diego is improving the offense, Telesco praised his young defense. He said there is the makings of a strong unit in place. I don’t disagree. That unit is solid.