Sunday, August 17, 2008
Broncos' postgame look
By Bill Williamson
Posted by ESPN.com' s Bill Williamson
Here are some thoughts after Denver's 23-13 win over visiting Dallas on Saturday night:
- Running back Andre Hall looks like he will be Denver's short-yardage back. Even though he is small, Hall runs tough and he ate up some tough yardage against the Cowboys. Hall has been more impressive than veteran pickup Michael Pittman who was signed to be the short-yardage back.
- Second-year player Ryan Harris settled down and played much better against Dallas than he did against Houston in his first pro start. Harris was penalized four times against the Texans.
- Niko Koutouvides did a decent job at middle linebacker and he may be leading veteran Nate Webster in the chase to be the starter. Also, D.J. Williams looks much better at weakside linebacker than he did in the middle of last season.
- It's time for the Broncos to start using tight end Tony Scheffler more. He can be a top weapon and he has a good connection with quarterback Jay Cutler.
- It will be interesting to see if Eddie Royal is the Denver returner now that he looks like a lock to be the No. 2 receiver. He was drafted out of Virginia Tech to be the returner first and help out as a backup receiver. But with him emerging as a receiver, will the Broncos risk injury to Royal on returns? Hall and Martinez are options if Royal is kept from returning.
- Center Tom Nalen is supposed to return from a knee injury this week. Still, there are no guarantees when Nalen will be ready to play.