Wednesday, October 5, 2011
Antonio Gates still not practicing
By Bill Williamson
San Diego tight end Antonio Gates missed practice again Wednesday with a nagging foot injury. He has missed the past two games with the injury. It would not be a surprise if Randy McMichael plays for Gates again Sunday at Denver.
The Chargers have their bye after the game and they may want to give Gates more time to rest.
- Meawhile, San Diego receiver Vincent Jackson didn’t practice with a hamstring injury that caused him to leave Sunday’s win over Miami. While it is still early in the week, the Chargers are hopeful Jackson can play at Denver. Center Nick Hardwick did not practice Wednesday with a neck injury. He is expected to play at Denver. Cornerback Quentin Jammer was practicing fully after he missed Sunday’s game with a hamstring injury.
- Denver's Champ Bailey practiced fully Wednesday. He looks like he is on pace to play against visiting San Diego on Sunday. Bailey has missed the past three games with a hamstring injury.
- Denver rookie starting right tackle Orlando Franklin has been excused by the team to deal with a family matter. It is not known if Franklin will return to the team in time for Sunday’s game against San Diego.
- San Diego coach Norv Turner had a fairly amusing answer when asked to respond to the prediction of Oakland coach Hue Jackson that the Raiders will win the AFC West this season.
- The Raiders are hoping safety Michael Huff (concussion) and defensive end Matt Shaugnessy (shoulder) could play at Houston on Sunday. Neither player played in Week 4.