Monday, March 19, 2012
Peyton Manning odds and ends
By Bill Williamson
Random thoughts and notes on the biggest story to hit in the AFC West in a long, long time:
- Mel Kiper looks at five possible fits for Tim Tebow in a trade.
- Aaron Schatz looks at how good the Broncos are with Manning.
- Matt Williamson thinks Denver should sign some of Manning's former Colts’ teammates. Brandon Stokley and Jeff Saturday are reportedly already in the team’s sights.
- Willis McGahee's reaction to the Manning signing in an interview with Sirius radio: “Music to my ears, baby. Music to my ears. I’m happy that he made a decision, he chose Denver. It’s a great place to play and the fans are going to really embrace him when he comes in. I think it just took our team to a whole ‘nother level with him saying he’s coming to Denver.”
- The Broncos will play both the AFC South and NFC East in 2013, meaning Manning is poised to play his former team, the Colts, and his brother, Eli’s team, the Giants, in the same season.
- Manning will have his choice of numbers in Denver. There have been indications No. 18 will stay retired in Denver and that he will wear No. 16. But the man who wears No. 18 in Denver, Frank Tripucka, has said he will happily unretire the digits for Manning to wear it.
- Denver’s odds of winning the Super Bowl have reportedly increased from 70-1 a month ago to 10-1 because of the Manning addition.
- It’s so funny how things change. Six months ago, it seemed like John Elway would bring in fellow Stanford graduate quarterback Andrew Luck when the Broncos stated 1-4. Now, Luck is headed to the Colts, which helped push Manning to Elway.
- I have a feeling former Colts offensive coordinator Tom Moore will come to Denver in some capacity -- perhaps as a consultant. Moore and Manning are very close.