Monday, October 12, 2009
Evening AFC West news and notes
By Bill Williamson
Posted by ESPN.com’s Bill Williamson
Oakland coach Tom Cable does not think the fact that he is being investigated for breaking the jaw of assistant coach Randy Hanson is distracting the team.
Shortly after the story broke, I asked Oakland leader Nnamdi Asomugha about it and he said it was not a distraction to the team. He said no one was talking about it. The Raiders aren’t winning because they are a mess on the field, not because of Cable’s off-field issue.
- A potential ownership group from Los Angeles has its eye on seven NFL teams, including the Raiders and Chargers. Don’t fret, Chargers’ and Raiders’ fans, a lot would have to happen for this to become a reality.
- Former Denver running back Ryan Torain is working out in Green Bay on Tuesday. Former Oakland receiver Ronald Curry worked out in Baltimore on Monday.
- The Chargers returned from their bye Monday, realizing the urgency of their game next Monday night against Denver.
- Kansas City coach Todd Haley praised linebacker Demorrio Williams for his play against Dallas. Williams has overtaken Derrick Johnson because of his performance.
- Denver coach Josh McDaniels gave his team Monday off after it beat New England on Sunday. It was the first time McDaniels gave his 5-0 team a Monday off this season. Yes, beating the Patriots was special for the former New England offensive coordinator.