Monday, May 6, 2013
Ranking the AFC West quarterbacks
By Bill Williamson
We are starting our annual AFC West positional rankings with a look at the quarterbacks, including the backups. Here we go:
1. Peyton Manning, Denver: Manning showed in his first season in Denver that he is can still be a star after four neck surgeries.
2. Philip Rivers, San Diego: Rivers has been a turnover machine the past two years, but he hasn’t been terrible, either. This is a big year for him.
3. Alex Smith, Kansas City: Smith enjoyed career resurgence in San Francisco. Let’s see if he can keep it up under Andy Reid.
4. Matt Flynn, Oakland: He will soon be 28 and he has started just two NFL games. He was beaten out by a rookie in camp last year. Yet, he gets another chance to show he can be a starter.
5. Chase Daniel, Kansas City: Scouts like this player and he was sought after as a backup this year in free agency.
6. Brock Osweiler, Denver: The Broncos live Osweiler and think he can be a star.
7. Terrelle Pryor, Oakland: Pryor has potential, but he will be pushed by Tyler Wilson. Right now, it’s Pryor over Wilson.
8. Charlie Whitehurst, San Diego: Whitehurst is a good caddie for Rivers and he fits the team well, but he has limitations.