Thursday, October 29, 2009
Evening AFC West news and notes
By Bill Williamson
Posted by ESPN.com’s Bill Williamson
Oakland defensive end Greg Ellis didn’t practice for the second straight day because a knee injury. Backup quarterback Bruce Gradkowski also missed his second day of practice with an illness. If JaMarcus Russell struggles again Sunday at San Diego, the team may be reluctant to pull him because of Gradkowski’s lack of practice time. Gradkowski spelled the struggling Russell last week.
Also in the division:
- Receiver Chaz Schilens did not practice for the second straight day, which further puts into question whether he’ll play Sunday. He’s been out for 10 week with a broken foot. Fellow receiver Louis Murphy was limited in practice with a hip injury.
- San Diego linebacker Kevin Burnett didn’t practice for the second straight day because of an ankle injury that keep him out of last week’s game. Defensive tackle Ogemdi Nwagbuo didn’t practice for the second straight day (ankle).
- Denver defensive tackle Ronald Fields practiced on a limited basis with a hamstring injury Thursday. He didn’t practice Wednesday. Safety Brian Dawkins continued to be limited in practice (hamstring).
- The NFL gave San Diego an extension until Friday afternoon to sell about 1,000 tickets for Sunday’s game against Oakland to avoid a local television blackout.
- Denver named cornerback Champ Bailey its Walter Payton Man of the Year Award nominee for his outstanding work in the community.