Monday, July 1, 2013
Ranking the AFC West defensive backs
By Bill Williamson
Our AFC West 2013 positional rankings series marches on with a deep, strong group of defensive backs:
1. Eric Weddle, San Diego: He is everything you want in a safety. He is a complete player.
2. Eric Berry, Kansas City: With extended health, the sky is the limit for this special player.
3. Champ Bailey, Denver: He is 35, but he still is a high-impact player.
4. Brandon Flowers, Kansas City: Coaches and scouts around the league rave about this player.
5. Sean Smith, Kansas City: Big, athletic player should thrive in Kansas City.
6. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Denver: Playing opposite Bailey should benefit this talent.
7. Tyvon Branch, Oakland: Having Charles Woodson on his side should take pressure off this solid player.
8. Dunta Robinson, Kansas City: Robinson’s versatility will help the Chiefs.
9. Derek Cox, San Diego: A solid player who was badly needed.
10. Charles Woodson, Oakland: He still has something left in the tank.
11. D.J. Hayden, Oakland: If his heart issues are behind him, he has a chance to make a big difference.
12. Chris Harris, Denver: A tremendous nickel cornerback.
13. Kendrick Lewis, Kansas City: A steady performer to assist Berry.
14. Rahim Moore, Denver: Everyone remembers the horrible playoff gaffe. But he has ability.
15. Mike Jenkins, Oakland: He should help Oakland’s secondary.
16. Quentin Jammer, Denver: The Broncos have a plan for him at safety.
17. Mike Adams, Denver: He always gives a high-effort.
18. Tony Carter, Denver: Backup cornerback has big-play ability.
19. Tracy Porter, Oakland: Raiders hoping for a bounce back season from former Bronco.
20. David Bruton, Denver: Special teams ace will get a chance to play more on defense.
21. Darrell Stuckey, San Diego: Ditto.
22. Shareece Wright, San Diego: Inexperienced player who get a chance to start.
23. Brandon Taylor, San Diego: He has ability, but is coming off a torn ACL
24. Phillip Adams, Oakland: He played well at times last season.
25. Marcus Gilchrist, San Diego: Versatile player will get a chance to play.
26. Brandian Ross, Oakland: He showed some nice flashes last year.
27. Joselio Hanson, Oakland: He is decent injury insurance.
28. Sanders Commings, Kansas City: Rookie showed flashes in the offseason.
29. Husain Abdullah, Kansas City: He took year off last year for personal reasons. He has starting experience.