Saturday, August 17, 2013
Chargers tinkering at left tackle
By Bill Williamson
It seems the San Diego Chargers’ left tackle job is still open and a familiar face may be getting back in the mix.
U-T San Diego reported second-year player Mike Harris was working with the first unit Saturday. The San Diego offensive line, the team’s biggest question mark, was beaten badly at Chicago on Thursday.
King Dunlap, who had been the starter this summer, was working as a backup right tackle and his competition, Max Starks, was working behind Harris. Harris was the starter at left tackle as an undrafted rookie last season.
The team was trying to upgrade. I still think Dunlap has the inside shot at the job, but this development shows the team still has big concerns at the vital spot.
In other San Diego notes:
Receiver Eddie Royal was taken off the field in an ambulance. Coach Mike McCoy told reporters Royal landed on back and then had shortness of breath. He will be further evaluated at the hospital.
UPDATE: The Chargers announced Royal is being treated for a bruised long and possible concussion, all other tests are negative. Thus, Royal should be fine. Still, it is another blow to an already thin group of receivers.
Defensive end Corey Liuget, who was banged up at Chicago on Thursday, didn’t practice Saturday. The team said Thursday he was taken out of the game as a precaution. Rookie inside linebacker Manti Te’o continues to be in a walking boot. He was hurt in the preseason opener nine days ago. Last Saturday, San Diego coach Mike McCoy said Te’o, a starter, would be out a week. Nickel cornerback Johnny Patrick is out. He injured his jaw at Chicago. U-T San Diego reports cornerback Steve Williams, a fifth-round draft pick, tore his pectoral muscle at Chicago and he will miss the season.
Malcom Floyd was working on the side Saturday. He suffered a knee strain Monday. The team is hopeful he can play in Week 1 against Houston.