Tuesday, August 12, 2014
Chargers Camp Report: Day 15
By Eric D. Williams
SAN DIEGO -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of San Diego Chargers training camp:
- A day after participating fully in practice, defensive end Corey Liuget was back in a walking boot on his right foot to protect a nagging ankle injury on Tuesday. Liuget has been dealing with this issue since tweaking the injury during one-on-one pass-rush drills two weeks ago. He’s tried to play through the pain during practice, but ultimately the Chargers are being proactive in getting the team’s best defensive lineman some rest so that Liuget’s injury does not linger throughout August and into the regular season. “It’s just a cautionary deal to make sure we get it corrected early,” said Liuget, when asked about sitting out of Tuesday’s practice.
- Safety Eric Weddle made a nice spin move during one-on-one pass-rush drills that left running back Ryan Mathews reaching for air. Outside linebacker Dwight Freeney did the same thing a few plays later going against Ladarius Green.
- After an impressive performance against Dallas, undrafted rookie free-agent running back Branden Oliver’s best chance to make the final roster likely will be as a returner. It appears that Oliver will get that opportunity, as he worked as a kick returner and punt returner during the special teams drills for San Diego.
- Antonio Gates had one of his best practices this training camp, scoring two touchdowns during the red zone period and making one of his trademark acrobatic catches over the middle of the field with safety Darrell Stuckey in coverage. The 34-year-old tight end appears to be in great shape and has been moving well during camp.
- Along with Liuget, receiver Vincent Brown (calf) and defensive end Lawrence Guy did not practice on Tuesday. Guard Jeromey Clary (shoulder, hip) remains on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list. Cornerback Jason Verrett still is wearing a red jersey, as the Chargers continue to protect his surgically repaired shoulder.
- Up next: After their final training camp practice open to the public on Tuesday, the Chargers will practice on Wednesday at Chargers Park at a time to be determined by the team. The practice will be closed to the public.