Sunday, November 29, 2009
Halftime notes from San Diego
By Bill Williamson
SAN DIEGO --- Halftime notes where the Chargers are handling the Chiefs, 28-7:
- The Chiefs were in the game, but the Chargers scored 21 unanswered points in the second quarter. The rout was on when Kansas City quarterback Matt Cassel let a ball slip out his hands. San Diego safety Paul Oliver caught the ball and brought it back for a touchdown to give San Diego a 28-7 lead.
- LaDainian Tomlinson has had more goal-line carries than any player in the NFL this season and he scored his sixth touchdown near the goal line Sunday. Tomlinson is now 10th in the NFL in all-time rushing yards.
- San Diego tight end Antonio Gates is fourth in the all-time list for touchdowns by a tight end with 55.
- San Diego safety Eric Weddle returned to the field after missing some time with a knee injury. San Diego linebacker Shawne Merriman (foot) left the game in the second quarter. He is questionable to return. He has been dealing with the injury for weeks. With San Diego leading big, Merriman may not return.
- Oliver was called for another facemask penalty. He could be fiend or the second in a week for the infraction. He was fined $5,000 by the league for a face-mask penalty against Denver last week.
- Kansas City running back Jamaal Charles has 71 yards on eight carries.
- Former San Diego receiver Chris Chambers has five catches for 47 yards and a touchdown for Kansas City.