AFC West: Billy Miller
October, 12, 2008
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson
NEW ORLEANS -- Random halftime thoughts from New Orleans where the Saints lead, 10-3.
- Drew Brees' completion streak is over. He completed his first 16 pass attempts.
- Oakland is airing it out. Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell has thrown the ball 16 times. Oakland has rushed the ball 11 times and hasn't gotten much going on the ground at all.
- Oakland return man Johnnie Lee Higgins is underrated. He always seems to come up with something nice. He had a 35-yard punt return in the first quarter.
- Oakland kicker Sebastian Janikowski missed field goal attempts of 57 and 59 yards late in the first half. However, both kicks were much closer than that 76-yard attempt at the end of the first half in Oakland's last game.
- New Saints kicker Taylor Mehlhaff has struggled. In his first game in New Orleans, he missed a 31-yard field goal and he booted a kickoff out of bounds. He did redeem himself with a 44-yard field goal with 50 seconds remaining in the first half.
- There was some controversy at the end of the first half when Brees hit Billy Miller at the Oakland 26. Television replays showed there was one second remaining but the officials said time expired in the half. Brees and Saints coach Sean Payton passionately argued to no avail.
- The New Orleans defense dropped three easy interceptions in the first half.