- Vaughn McClure, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
The Atlanta Falcons have been wise with their new additions, structuring new contracts in a manner which has allowed for ample cap room to address other needs while setting aside an allotment for the upcoming draft.
The Falcons currently have $13,247,447 in salary-cap space, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Free-agent pickups Paul Soliai, Tyson Jackson and Jon Asamoah will count a combined $11.3 million against this year's cap. The Falcons freed up some cap space with the releases of tight end Tony Gonzalez and safety Thomas DeCoud this past week.
The Falcons might target a veteran safety to replace DeCoud during the second wave of free agency. They have enough money to complete such a move.
Here is a breakdown of the Falcons' current cap situation after all the recent transactions, as calculated by ESPN Stats & Info. The numbers are fluid based on daily movement. (For example, Roddy White could agree to a contract extension, lowering his cap figure. Or a player such as Osi Umenyiora could take a pay cut, thus lowering his cap figure.)
Adjusted Cap: $135,743,934
Top 51: $112,415,646
Dead Money: $10,080,841
Cap Space: $13,247,447
Top 10 2014 cap figures:
1. QB Matt Ryan, $17,500,000
2. LG Justin Blalock, $7,660,000
3. WR Roddy White, $6,325,000
4. LT Sam Baker, $6,050,000
5. DT Paul Soliai, $5,400,000
6. SS William Moore, $5,150,000
7. WR Julio Jones, $5,149,375
8. DE $Osi Umenyiora, 4,750,000
9. RB Steven Jackson, $4,166,666
10. LB Sean Weatherspoon, $4,132,500