Ravens Camp Report: Day 1
July, 24, 2014
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com
OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- A daily look at what happened at Baltimore Ravens training camp:
- Wide receiver Steve Smith put on a show in his first training camp practice with the Ravens. He started by faking out cornerback Lardarius Webb to get open for an out route and then beat Chykie Brown and Webb again on deep passes. The Ravens expected Smith to raise the intensity level of practice when they signed him as a free agent. He certainly didn't disappoint.
- Quarterback Joe Flacco didn't have the smoothest of days. The Ravens are hoping he gets to the point where the ball is out of his hands on the fifth step of his dropback. He held on to the ball too long and he wasn't sharp on passes. Flacco even had a screen pass knocked down by Haloti Ngata. This shouldn't be a shock. It took Flacco some time to get his rhythm in this new offense in the offseason.
- Coach John Harbaugh raved about how his players are in such good shape, and that's true for the most part. The biggest concern is outside linebacker Courtney Upshaw. This isn't a new concern because he has struggled with his weight in the past. Upshaw looked even bigger since he practiced at last month's minicamp. The challenge for Upshaw is eating healthy. There were times Thursday when he was taking a knee between reps to catch his breath.
- Arthur Brown, a second-round pick from a year ago, was running with the starters at inside linebacker, alongside Daryl Smith. The favorite, though, remains first-round pick C.J. Mosley, who was working with the first team at the end of last month's minicamp. Mosley has been the most impressive rookie in this year's draft class.
- In terms of the offensive line, the right tackle battle looks like it's between Rick Wagner and Jah Reid. Ryan Jensen worked at tackle during the offseason, but that experiment appears to be over. Reid, who missed most of the spring workouts with a calf injury, practiced with the second team at right tackle.
- Schedule: The Ravens' practice on Friday begins at 10 a.m. Their first contact practice is Saturday. Coach John Harbaugh, secondary/assistant head coach Steve Spagnuolo and cornerbacks Jimmy Smith and Lardarius Webb will speak to the media following practice.