Ravens Camp Report: Day 6
July, 30, 2014
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com
OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Baltimore Ravens training camp:
- Starting quarterback Joe Flacco made his best and worst throws of camp in the same practice. His best pass came when he hit wide receiver Torrey Smith in stride on a 30-yard touchdown strike down the sideline. Then, in a red zone drill, Flacco threw off his back foot while fading backward. Not surprisingly, it was intercepted by cornerback Dominique Franks in the end zone.
- Left guard Kelechi Osemele continued an impressive and physical training camp. He delivered a block that knocked defensive tackle Haloti Ngata to the ground and later did the same to Brandon Williams. After watching Osemele in practice, you realize how much his absence last year -- he had back surgery -- hurt the Ravens' offensive line.
- While it's been established that Jimmy Smith is one of the league's best young cornerbacks, his performance in the one-on-one drills in the red zone was still impressive. In a drill where the defensive back is at a disadvantage, Smith intercepted a pass in front of Torrey Smith and he broke up a pass to LaQuan Williams. It was interesting to note that Smith then joined tight ends Dennis Pitta and Owen Daniels to catch passes from the Jugs machine in an effort to improve his hands.
- The biggest surprise of camp has been wide receiver Kamar Aiken. He wasn't on the radar this offseason, but he likely has passed Deonte Thompson and LaQuan Williams on the depth chart with what he's done this summer. It seems like he makes a catch every day that makes you notice him.
- In a matchup between two struggling players, wide receiver Marlon Brown made a diving, one-handed catch for a touchdown against cornerback Chykie Brown. Coming off a strong rookie season, Marlon Brown has been dropping several passes throughout the offseason and training camp. That frustration may been the reason why he spiked the ball in Chykie Brown's direction.
- Justin Tucker hit field goals from 63 and 56 yards. He missed on a 55-yard attempt.
- Schedule: The Ravens have an 8:30 a.m. ET practice Thursday. Running back Ray Rice will have his much anticipated news conference following practice.
- Injury wire: DE Brent Urban (knee) suffered a potentially serious injury during the first hour of practice. DT Timmy Jernigan (back) also left the field and didn't return, although the Ravens believe he's fine. ... CB Lardarius Webb (back) missed his fourth straight practice. LBs Daryl Smith and Albert McClellan both weren't at practice for undisclosed reasons. ... G Will Rackley (head) also didn't practice. ... NT Terrence Cody (hip) is on the physically unable to perform list.