Ravens Camp Report: Day 8
August, 1, 2014
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com
OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Baltimore Ravens training camp:
- It was another sluggish practice for quarterback Joe Flacco. He mishandled a snap from center, and he lost grip of the ball while dropping back (and not getting hit). Flacco did show nice touch on a pass to tight end Dennis Pitta, who found a hole in the zone defense. But Flacco was later intercepted over the middle by Asa Jackson on a poor pass.
- Punter Sam Koch provided the highlight of the day as a field-goal kicker. With Justin Tucker getting the day off, Koch hit from 60 and 51 yards. After connecting on the 60-yarder, he was lifted in the air by coach John Harbaugh. There's less concern about how the Ravens will fare if Tucker ever gets injured in a game.
- Linebacker Terrell Suggs has been having a terrific camp, mainly because he's been getting to the quarterback after beating tackles Eugene Monroe and Rick Wagner. On Friday, he reminded everyone that he can more than hold his own dropping back into coverage. Suggs drew the assignment of covering Pitta and Owen Daniels, and neither caught a pass on him.
- With Jimmy Smith off and Lardarius Webb still hurt, the Ravens had a much different look at cornerback with the first-team defense. Chykie Brown and undrafted rookie Tremain Jacobs were on the outside, while Asa Jackson lined up in the slot.
- Schedule: The Ravens have a 10 a.m. ET practice Saturday.
- Injury wire: Webb (back) missed his sixth straight practice. ... ILB Daryl Smith (groin) was sidelined for a third consecutive day. ... DT Timmy Jernigan (back spasms) and G Will Rackley (head) also didn't practice. ... WR Jeremy Butler (groin) returned but didn't appear to be at full strength. ... NT Terrence Cody (hip) is on the physically unable to perform list.