Ravens Camp Report: Day 11
August, 4, 2014
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Baltimore Ravens training camp:
- Joe who? Rookie sixth-round pick Keith Wenning delivered the excitement with his best throws of camp, and the Ravens' No. 3 quarterback made them on consecutive plays. He launched passes that traveled 45, 40 and 50 yards in the air. The best throw was dropping a ball over Deonte Thompson's shoulder and hitting him in stride. Wenning hadn't shown that type of arm strength before. "Keith was on fire in the third-down drill," coach John Harbaugh said. "It wasn't just converting. He was throwing touchdown passes."
- The night practice at Navy was full of surprises. Cornerback Chykie Brown, who had struggled most of camp, followed up an interception (the pass went off the hands of Dennis Pitta) by breaking up a pass to Kamar Aiken. Perhaps this could be a turning point for Brown. "Chykie, in the last week, has really come on," Coach John Harbaugh said. "I think he's calmed down a little bit. He's playing assignment and technique football. At that position, you have to play with patience and he's really doing that."
- Wide receiver Steve Smith put on the move of the night when he faked out cornerback Asa Jackson on a one-on-one drill. It was so bad that Jackson actually fell to the turf. Smith then showed he's quickly acclimating to Baltimore by wearing a black-and-orange Natty Boh hat in the locker room after practice.
- Justin Tucker easily hit a 51-yard field goal before stretching the limit. His 68-yard field goal into an open end of the stadium fell a couple yards short.
- Schedule: The Ravens are off Tuesday and open the preseason Thursday night against the San Francisco 49ers. The practice at Navy was the team's final workout open to the general public.
- Injury wire: CB Lardarius Webb (back) missed his ninth straight practice. He last practiced on July 25. ... ILB Daryl Smith (groin) returned after missing five straight practices but didn't participate in team drills. ... DT Timmy Jernigan participated in team drills for the first time since injuring his back last week. ... WR Michael Campanaro (ribs) didn't practice for a second straight day. ... G Will Rackley (head) and CB Marrio Norman (undisclosed) also didn't practice. ... NT Terrence Cody (hip) is on the physically unable to perform list.