Big 12 lunchtime links: ISU needs to move quickly on coach
December, 18, 2008
By Tim Griffin | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
Here are some lunchtime links that will provide some lunchtime diversion over a trip to a shopping mall somewhere packed with holiday shoppers.
After you finish reading these nuggets, you'll thank me.
- Iowa State faces a huge dilemma if the Cyclones don't hire a coach in the next several days. Andrew Logue of the Des Moines Register reports that the NCAA's recruiting dead period -- which prohibits coaches from visiting non-signed athletes in person -- begins Monday and will continue through Jan. 1.
- New Kansas State offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig will work with his old team at Utah through the Utes' Jan. 2 Sugar Bowl game against Alabama, the Topeka Capital-Journal's Austin Meek reports.
- Tim Sullivan of the New York Post is picking Florida to beat Oklahoma in the FedEx BCS National Championship Game because the Gators are faster, healthier and more talented on defense than the Sooners.
- Defensive tackle DeMarcus Granger becomes the second key Oklahoma player who missed the Sooners' bowl game last season who will also miss the BCS title game against Florida, according to the Oklahoman's Jake Trotter.
- Dave Sittler of the Tulsa World writes that a strong performance in Oklahoma State's Dec. 30 Holiday Bowl game against Oregon could propel the Cowboys into contention for a shot at next year's Big 12 South Division title.
- Maybe it's the economy or a bad case of "BCS blues." Whatever the reason, Texas still has 1,000 tickets remaining for the Longhorns' Jan. 5 Fiesta Bowl game against Ohio State, according to Patrick George of the Austin-American Statesman.