Lunch links: Leach speaks
July, 2, 2010
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
SPOILER ALERT: No. 1 on the Big 12's top 25 list: Garrett Gilbert.
- Former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach breaks his recent silence and talks about his plans to coach again, among other things, in this story by the Fort Worth Star Telegram's Dwain Price.
- Not a good week for former Longhorns. Chris Simms was arrested in New York for allegedly driving while smoking marijuana. Simms' lawyer says he was smoking cigarettes.
- The Big 12 won't be the same without a championship game, which saw two of the defining moments of Bill Snyder's tenure at Kansas State, writes Austin Meek of the Topeka Capital-Journal.
- Iowa State receiver Darius Reynolds is looking to stretch the field in 2010, writes Randy Peterson of the Des Moines Register.
- Kansas' quarterbacks have the luxury of learning from two former QBs, coaches Chuck Long and Turner Gill, writes Matt Tait in the Lawrence Journal-World.
- Texas Tech and SMU is a must-watch game on opening weekend, writes Matt Murschel of the Orlando Sentinel.
- Texas Tech plans to appeal an unfavorable preliminary ruling in its case against Mike Leach, reports Matthew McGowan of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.
- Colorado received a commitment from in-state dual-threat quarterback Brock Berglund.
- Kate Hairopoulos at the Dallas Morning News dug up a few e-mails and more about commissioner Dan Beebe's written paper to convince the Big 12's members to stay, first uncovered by SI.com's Andy Staples.