Big 12 links: New KSU president can help find athletic director
January, 28, 2009
By Tim Griffin | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
Some interesting topics popped up across the conference this morning. Feel free to digest them with your lunches this afternoon.
- Austin Meek and Kevin Haskin of the Topeka Capital Journal report that outgoing Kansas State president Jon Wefald said he would be willing to provide the university's next president a head start at picking the school's new athletic director.
- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops told the Tulsa World's Dave Sittler he "likes the quarterbacks we have," in regards to reports linking the Sooners with former Miami quarterback Robert Marve.
- The Oklahoman's Berry Tramel proposes giving players a chance to return to school after they are selected in the NFL draft if they don't sign with an agent or a pro franchise.
- Blair Kerkhoff of the Kansas City Star reports on the tumultuous year of Kansas State athletic director Bob Krause, who was re-assigned Tuesday to a new role at the school's Olathe campus.
- Lincoln Journal-Star columnist Steve Sipple reports that six former Nebraska players -- Matt Slauson, Nate Swift, Lydon Murtha, Marlon Lucky, Zach Potter and Cody Glenn -- have received invitations to the NFL Scouting Combine next month in Indianapolis.
- Boulder Camera beat writer Kyle Ringo remembers the playing career of former Colorado quarterback Bernard Jackson, who was sentenced to more than five years in prison last week along with former teammate Lionel Harris last week.