Big 12 lunch links: Leach, Leach and more Leach
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
The Big 12's news has been dominated by Mike Leach's contract saga the past several days. But we are equal-opportunity Big 12 pundits and believe in keeping our readers informed about stories across the conference.
Here's are a few Big 12 bits for your lunchtime enjoyment.
- The impasse between Texas Tech and Leach continued Tuesday as a deadline passed without Leach accepting the school's contract terms. Leach told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal's Don Williams "he couldn't fathom why" he could be fired by school officials. Leach told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram's Dwain Price he would rather not head into the season working on his existing contract, but it's out of his hands. And Dallas Morning News blogger Tim McMahon assesses the potential long-term damage for the school if Leach leaves.
- Alex Jamison of Dawgman.com writes that Arizona offensive coordinator Sonny Dykes might be targeted as a potential replacement if Texas Tech makes a coaching change.
- Former Nebraska defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove tells Nadine Babu of Gopherhole.com to look at his overall coaching record rather than his tenure as the Cornhuskers' former defensive coordinator. Cosgrove now works as Minnesota's co-defensive coordinator after sitting out the past season.
- Funeral services for former Texas standout defensive back Noble Doss will be Thursday in Austin, John Maher of the Austin American-Statesman reports. Doss, who still holds a share of the Longhorns' career interception record, died Sunday at the age of 88.
- The Lincoln Journal Star's Steve Sipple advises Nebraska coach Bo Pelini to take the green jerseys off his quarterbacks in the spring game -- at least for a few plays.
- The Boulder Camera reports that former Illinois State coach Denver Johnson has been hired as Colorado's new offensive line coach. An announcement is expected on Wednesday.