Lunch links: How to save the Longhorns
September, 27, 2010
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
My mailbag tells me untelevised 30-point blowouts deserve equal coverage compared to nationally televised games that I attend and produce college football's biggest upset of the weekend. I'll get right on it, guys.
- Kansas quarterback Kale Pick is out for three weeks with a leg injury.
- If Texas wants to save its season, it has to figure out what exactly it can do well and build around it, writes Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman.
- The season is young, but Oklahoma is proving it can gut out the close games that it lost all last season, writes Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman.
- Look for Nebraska quarterback Taylor Martinez to bounce back, says offensive coordinator Shawn Watson.
- Kansas State has snagged one of the top junior college quarterbacks in America for its 2011 class, reports Austin Meek of the Topeka Capital-Journal. The comparisons to Michael Bishop have already begun.
- Iowa State defensive lineman Stephen Ruempolhamer has a fantastic name and an even better story, having spent the first 15 years of his life in Amsterdam, writes Randy Peterson of the Des Moines Register. His parents plan to see him play for the first time ever this weekend against Texas Tech.
- Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen and Texas A&M defensive coordinator Tim DeRuyter have a recent history, writes John Helsley of The Oklahoman.
- Texas Tech is trying to bounce back from its messy offensive performance against Texas, writes Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.
- Brent Zwerneman runs down the wacky breaks that have filled the OSU-Texas A&M series recently.
- A halftime challenge from newcomer Toney Clemons may be a turning point in Colorado's season, writes Kyle Ringo of the Boulder Daily Camera.
- Missouri is comfortably easing into its bye week with a stress-free Saturday, writes Joe Walljasper of the Columbia Daily Tribune.
- Realignment led to Iowa State and Utah canceling their 2011 game.
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
Final Illinois 18 Louisiana Tech 35 Final Rutgers 40 North Carolina 21 Final North Carolina State 34 UCF 27
Final Cincinnati 17 Virginia Tech 33 Final 15 Arizona State 36 Duke 31 Final Miami (FL) 21 South Carolina 24 Final/OT Boston College 30 Penn State 31 Final Nebraska 42 24 USC 45
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State